Local Leader Interviews

Click here for a list of all the interviews with #localleaders.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

An Interview With James T. Johnson - Local Leaders #9


by Neil Richard


Introduction


The basic idea behind this interview series is to interview local leaders that live, work, or have an important impact on King George County. We have asked various citizens for recommendations on who they see as a local leader. Additionally, we feel that everyone has a story and it deserves to be told. So we want to know their story. As you can see with the questions below, we want to share their  story with the rest of the citizens in King George County. If you have somebody you would like to nominate for a future interview, please contact us.

Phyllis Johnson and her husband James T. "Temple" Johnson.


Editor's Note:
Unlike other interviews, Mr. Johnson, or Temple as many people know him, was accompanied by his wife, Phyllis Johnson. While Mrs. Johnson never answered any questions, she did give her husband a little reminder once or twice when he was answering questions. From an objective perspective, she in no way interfered with the interview nor did she contribute in any way that hindered my questioning. From a more personal perspective, I thought it was wonderful that she was willing to sit there and support her husband as I asked him questions. For me, it showed a true dedication that they had for each other and their marriage.

Basic Biographical Information


I attended Ralph Bunche High School grades 1 through 12. I graduated in 1962. Joined the military in September 1962. Went through Basic Training and was assigned to HAWK Launcher Loader and Maintenance School in Ft. Bliss, Texas where I did 22 months there as a student then instructor. Did one year in Korea and then ETS'd out [Expiration of Term of Service; honorably discharged] of the military. I stayed away from the military for probably ten years then joined the Virginia Army National Guard in 1975. I retired in 1993 from Virginia Army National Guard. Schools that I attended, I attended military schools to maintain HAWK missile launchers, projectionist course in Ft. Bliss, Texas and also in Puson, Korea. Also attended Charles County Community College from 1975 to 1977. I attended King George County Adult Education classes. My study was Machine Shop from 1975 to 1980. My instructor was Mr. Fred Reed. I received a letter of completion from that class. Also during the time I was in the Virginia Army National Guard I also attended Basic NCO School, Advanced NCO School, First Sergeant NCO School, and then I attended Combat Engineer Qualification School. During the period of time I was an employee at US Naval Ordinance Station in Indian Head, Maryland I attended Explosive Holders School and refresher courses for eight years. That was during the first years I was there from 1965 through 1973. And that's about the end of my biography as far as working and so forth. Well, I did 37 years with the Navy as a Federal employee and I did 20 years, one month, and 29 days for the military. That was three years active duty and 17 years, one month, 29 days with the Virginia Army National Guard.

I'm also a member of the Antioch Baptist Church here in King George. The position that I hold there is the Chairman of the Deacon Ministry. I am a lifetime member of the Ralph Bunche Alumni Association. I am the Commander of American Legion Post 329. I am also a lifetime member with the American Legion. I'm a member of the King George County Wetlands Board. I am a lifetime member of the King George County Historical Society. And a member of the NAACP.

Personal Questions


What do you remember about your grandparents?
I do not remember that much about my grandparents. The only one that I ever saw was my grandmother and she died in 1949. I was just at my grandfather's grave. I just wrote this information down because sometimes you remember this stuff and sometimes you forget it. My grandfather on my father's side was born in 1874 and he died in 1941. His name was Peter Johnson. My grandmother's name was Nancy Howard Johnson and she was born in 1879 and she died in 1931. That was when my dad was 12 and he had a younger brother who was eight and of course they had a total of eight in the family, seven boys and one girl. I didn't think of this until after I had left my grandfather and grandmother's grave on my mother's side so I'll get those next time I go over. Which will be about a year from now. But the only one that I remember was my grandmother on my mother's side. Her name was Minnie Washington. Now I can remember the names. On my mother's side, her father's name was David H. Washington and her mother was named Minnie. Her maiden name was Fines. They were out of Stafford County in the Garrisonville area. That's where she was from.

What historical events influenced your life the most?
Let's see. The Civil Rights movement. Cuban Crisis. Assassination of JFK. The Space Race. Assassination of Martin Luther King. And the assassination of Bobby Kennedy. And the election of President Obama of the United States of America.

With the Civil Rights movement, it allowed the whole world to see the problems we had in the United States. The movement caused a great change in government to allow for equal treatment of black folks in America.

The Cuban Crisis, I was in the service when that happened. This was in November of 1962 when President Kennedy said to Mr. Khrushchev "get your stuff out of Cuba. So just to make sure he was going to he put the military on alert and we spent all night long sitting on our duffel bags outside, getting ready to go to Cuba. So I thought that was extremely important because we didn't know what we were going to do with war or what.

The assassination of John F. Kennedy, I was in El Paso, Texas when that happened. He was assassinated in Dallas and right away the borders closed. Of course El Paso was right on the border. It was a great turmoil, really, in Texas. What happened. Why it happened. And who was involved. So the military was kind of on alert. We were in school, that was during the time I was attending HAWK Missile Launcher Loader and Maintenance program. The school was on alert. The government was looking for perpetrators of the assassination. It made me aware of how the government reacts to, I'll just say, national emergencies.

Space Race. I thought it was extremely important to put a man on the Moon for the United States. Then we continued with space exploration. We came up with the Space Shuttle program. Ferrying folks out to stay longer and longer in space and working on capsules to remain in space for longer periods of time. One incident that I was involved with was one of the rockets failed to fire to shoot the capsule, the Space Shuttle back into orbit. So of course they came up with a different system to fire it and get it back into Earth orbit. It had to orbit several more times and make sure everything was just right before they fired it. When they did so, once they landed in Florida, they should have landed in California but they landed in Florida, but they took the rocket off and sent it to Indian Head where I was working. They asked Indian Head to perform tests on it and my portion of that test was to prepare samples for testing. They wanted the results by Monday morning and they told me I would work through the weekend. The problem was that I had National Guard duty that weekend. I told my boss that I had National Guard duty so he sent word to the Base Commander that Johnson can't work on that and since I was the only guy that did that, my section was the only group that did that, so the Captain sent word back through the chain that I would notify the National Guard that I wouldn't be there and if there was a problem he would call. So I called the National Guard I wouldn't be there and I told them why and they said okay. So I worked that weekend and prepared those samples and ready for testing and the results had to be ready by that Monday morning which they were. And of course I am still interested in what's happening up there in space.

Assassination of Martin Luther King, I thought that was a terrible, terrible time. Sorry it ever happened, even today. That changed a lot of things. A lot things happened, changed during that period. A lot of buildings were destroyed because of that. A lot of militants expressed themselves during that time so that caused that the United States to look at things just a little bit differently. The contribution Martin Luther King made towards Civil Rights.

The assassination of Bobby Kennedy I thought was just awful. Gosh, his bother had just been killed as President of the United States. He's running for President and some guy, because of something he thought Bobby Kennedy had said was derogatory, killed him. It was just bad.

One happy thing was the election of President Obama in 2008. I didn't think it would ever happen but it did and I was just happy about it. In my opinion, I think President Obama was a very good President.

Outside of work and home, what is your favorite place in King George?
Well, in King George it's American Legion Post #329. And Antioch Baptist Church. There is one place outside of King George but you said in King George so I'll have to stop right there. Those are the two places where I dedicate myself. Make sure that this building is presentable. I don't personally cut the grass but we discuss that at every meeting. We want to know what's wrong, is there anything we can do to improve or promote Post #329. There are two Posts in King George however it's listed as one post is in King George itself and the other is in Dahlgren. This is a separate designation because of the times in 1946, that's the way the black folks had to be recognized to be part of any type of national organization. They just weren't allowed to associate with any of the white organizations. So they had to form their own organizations. About three years ago we celebrated 70 years.

What person, place, or thing do you think is the most underappreciated in King George County?
I'd say the hidden gem of King George County is the King George Historical Society. They have a lot of County history. They have a lot of information available. But very few people that I talk to even know about the King George Historical Society. They make themselves known during the Home Show, but that is to my knowledge the only other time I see them. Oh, the Christmas tree lighting. I think that's a very important group. They have the history of King George County.


Professional Questions


Who is your inspiration or mentor?
Well, I thought about that for awhile and then I wrote down I do not have anyone. But then after I thought about it I had to think that if it wasn't for my dad, I wouldn't be the guy I am today. So I would put Temple H. Johnson as my mentor. He taught me what I needed to do and what I shouldn't do in so many words. He supported me in his way. Told me I needed to go to school. Told me I needed to get an education. We didn't always agree on a lot of things but he was the guy that I knew, I knew I didn't want to mess up on him. Because really, it would be a disappointment to him if I did that. He knew a lot of stuff. But you know that you can only go so far because if you went any further it would be against your teaching. That has always been in the back of my mind.

What is your ideal vision for King George County in the future?
That one I'm kind of struggling with. What I wrote down was that it's kind of hard to predict the future. When I was going to school, if I had any idea that King George would be like it is today, I probably wouldn't have believed it. Probably wouldn't have understood it. But that's the way it is. When you talk about the future, the future is tricky business. And what you seek out of it, even if you're investing in it, isn't necessarily what comes out the way that you planned it. So sometimes you just have to wait and see. Things change. People change. Different people move into the community with different ideas. So even the community changes. So it's just hard to predict.

What do you feel are the top 3 issues to address in King George?
The first one really jumped out at me a couple years back when the folks over at Cleydael started complaining about the dirt bikes and causing problems with the homeowners and the noise. I just think the phrase noise pollution is one. And environmental pollution, cutting up the trails, the property and creating washes by the dirt bikes going through the areas. Those homeowners are really concerned about that. Then I began to think, the County couldn't really do anything about it except to tell the property owner to not let this happen anymore. And guess what? Six months later he did and the I think the County fined him. And it hasn't happened since because if it did it would have come before the Board of Supervisors. I began to think that there is no regulation concerning motor sports here in the County. Then what jumped out at me was when the two gentlemen were killed on the Potomac River over at Fairview Beach during a boat race. I brought that to the County's attention and the Board of Supervisors said they'd do something about ti. One of the few times I said something about that and I probably won't mention it again because folks don't like to hear I told you so. But I think that's one of the things that's really important.

Another thing that's important is the water and sewage expenses to the users here in the County. I don't know what the answer is but it's a really important issue to those paying the bills. It's a really important issue.

The third thing is, we'll see it more so as time goes on, is the commercialization of the 301 corridor through King George.

Those are my thoughts on that question.

What do you feel are the top 3 successes in King George?
First one was started quite a few years ago, 1960 I think it was, was the Fall Festival. I think that was a success.

Second thing is the Home Show.

And the third thing is coming up, the memorial Some Gave All Ride. They are very well supported by not only the people here in this County but people outside the County also.

What person, place, or thing do you think we lack in King George?
I brought this idea to Tim Smith before he retired, maybe five or six years before he retired, that we do not have a designated area for carnivals or fairgrounds or any type of sponsored motor sports. There should be an area designated for those particular things to happen. Right across the river over in La Plata, they have a designated area set aside for a county fair, any type of motorsports that they want to have. The grounds can be used by the community for home shows and different, other things that may occur within the county that the residents would like to have. There's a designated area for that. Bleachers set up. If you want to have a rodeo or mud bog or tractor pull or whatever. Demolition derby. Anything! That area is designated for that. And of course once you get something set up like that, you need to consider the residents that live in those areas because over in La Plata they wound up putting a restriction, a noise restriction on it, they have to be shut down by twelve o'clock.

That was the place. I couldn't think of any person that we lacked. What person, place, or thing do we lack, I could only think of a place.

No comments:

Post a Comment