Local Leader Interviews

Click here for a list of all the interviews with #localleaders.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Candidate Interviews 2 of 4 - Constitutional Officers

by Neil Richard

Editor's Note: Treasurer is currently held by Randy Jones. He is running unopposed. Commissioner of the Revenue is currently held by Judy Hart. She is running unopposed. Commonwealth's Attorney is currently held by Keri Gusmann. She is running unopposed.

Commonwealth’s Attorney


Candidate: Keri Gusmann
Q: When did you arrive in King George and why did you choose to live here?
A: I came to King George in 2002 and moved here in 2012. I graduated from law school in 2000 and worked in Fredericksburg as a Public Defender. I beat Matt Britton a few times in court and he was impressed enough to hire me.

Q: What made you want to run for office?
A: Matt Britton resigned in September of 2012. Because it was less than 90 days before the next election, a special election was held in November of 2013. So I basically ran for election in November of 2013 to keep my job. But I really do love my job working as a prosecutor.

Q: What do you do in your free time for stress relief or as a hobby?
A: Get outside either on the Dahlgren Railroad Heritage Trail or Caledon State Park. I have a son that plays soccer and since I played soccer in the past, I also coach. One of the best parts about coaching is none of the kids care about what Coach Keri does for work. It’s great to coach them and it gives me an hour of not thinking about work.

Q: How would you promote unity within King George?
A: More sports. Because I played soccer and softball in college, I got a season pass to watch high school sports. We also enjoy the musicals and plays at the high school and my son and I think they’re better than some of the others in the area. I also like that there’s one high school. It allows kids that have rocket scientists as parents and those with blue collar parents living in a trailer park to get together and become friends.

Q: If you received a $1 million grant to use for King George any way you wanted, what would you do with it and why?
A: A supervised, pretrial living arrangement for those charged with misdemeanors. Sort of like a halfway house but without the negative connotations. There’s nothing like that in King George and not really anything like it in the region. But some place where people can go after they’ve detoxed in jail but have the supervision they need to stay on track. It would also be a supervised release program where people wouldn’t go back to their previous living environment and go back to their old ways. Plus it eases the burden on family and friends.

No Campaign Finance Reports Available. 

 

Commissioner of the Revenue


Candidate: Judy Hart
Q: When did you arrive in King George and why did you choose to live here?
A: My family came here in July of 1962 because of my dad. He helped build the expansion that made it a four-lane highway. Ed’s Drive is named after him. I’m the youngest of four siblings and all graduated from King George High School. I also married a local and have stayed since.

Q: What made you want to run for office?
A: I worked for the County for about ten and a half years issuing business licenses. When a new Commissioner was elected, she didn’t want me to be part of her team so I left. I went to work for Spotsylvania County for about two years issuing business licenses there. I was in the process of helping a friend run for office and she was offered a job on base she couldn’t turn down but she dropped out of the race. My husband and I were on our back porch on the swing talking about it and he suggested I run for office. Before that it had never even entered my mind. So I prayed on it for about a week and the Lord finally told me I should run for office and make Regina my Deputy Commissioner. So that’s what I did and I won with 66% of the vote.

Q: What do you do in your free time for stress relief or as a hobby?
A: I love to work in the yard. I could spend all day on the lawn mower out there cutting grass. I also enjoy working in my flower beds and do some sewing and needlework. I also make and decorate cakes, usually wedding cakes, for friends and family. I used to do that as a business but it became more work and less fun so now the wedding cake is usually my present to the couple. I also have three grandkids and I love to spend time with them.

Q: How would you promote unity within King George?
A: This was the hardest question on your list. I think, as Commissioner, my attitude helps the most. Just being kinder to everyone. When I took over I met with my staff and told them to be nice to everyone and to treat the citizens that come in like Chik-fil-A treats their customers. My dad told me that you don’t have to like a person but you do have to be nice to them. That’s been with me ever since he told me.

Q: If you received a $1 million grant to use for King George any way you wanted, what would you do with it and why?
A: I would put it towards the children. Maybe even schools and teachers. But the children have so many needs. Like lunches during the summer because they don’t get a lunch at school. My daughter is a teacher in Rockingham and I hear a lot of stories about the many needs of children.

No Campaign Finance Reports Available.

Treasurer


Candidate: Randy Jones
Q: When did you arrive in King George and why did you choose to live here?
A: I started working here in 1997 as a Part-Time employee. I became a Full-Time employee in 1999. I grew up in Westmoreland and moved to King George in 2013.

Q: What made you want to run for office?
A: I’ve worked every job in this department over the years. When Alice [Moore] retired, it seemed like the only natural spot left for me was Treasurer. Several people also suggested I run for office. Plus it’s kinda fun.

Q: What do you do in your free time for stress relief or as a hobby?
A: Golf. I’m no good at it but I play often. I also used to coach in Colonial Beach for about 15 years. Boys Basketball and Boys Baseball. The basketball team was State Champion in 2009. Right now i”m coaching Girls Softball and Boys Basketball here in King George.

Q: How would you promote unity within King George?
A: I think relationships need to be built around work, school, and church. The last two should be the focal points of how to bring people together.

Q: If you received a $1 million grant to use for King George any way you wanted, what would you do with it and why?
A: I’m a big fan of Cedell Brooks Park. So I think investing in something recreational to bring people together would be great. If not that park, somewhere else. Basketball courts. Tennis courts. Shelters. Something for people to use to enjoy being together with others.

No Campaign Finance Reports Available.

SUBSCRIBE OR DONATE
You can subscribe via email here. You can make a charitable donation here.

No comments:

Post a Comment